Perhaps one of the hardest parts of getting to know somebody is actually finding a way to talk talk to them.
1. "Sorry, but do I know you from somewhere? You look so familiar…"
This is a great excuse to start a conversation with somebody. Just pretend that you recognise them from somewhere and before you know, it youre in a conversation.
2. "Sorry, Im a bit lost, do you know where ... is?"
Much like the first one on the list, this one is all about lying in order to get your foot in the door. OK so lying sounds a little bad… How about embellishing the truth.
3. "Excuse me, where did you get your dress (shirt/blouse etc), its really nice and I need to get a present for my sister/brother."
So this one requires a good deal of confidence. If you see someone you like and need a way to get talking to them, simply approach them and tell them you want to know where they bought an item of their clothing, because you think it will suit a friend or family member. This will also flatter them and open up some dialogue.
4. "Oh wow! Its you! I loved you in that film where you were fighting robots… Oh, it wasnt you?"
So these are pretty much all lies, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Its getting harder and harder to meet new people in the real world now with social networking sites so you have to be a little creative. If you pretend that the person you are trying to talk to reminds you of a movie star then they will be flattered and it could start a pretty interesting conversation.
Once you have the conversation started its really up to you to keep it going. My advice would be to ask a lot of questions about them so that you seem interested, but not so much as to scare them away or seem desperate. Its a delicate balance.
Once you get to know them a little
So youve managed to break the ice, maybe youve gotten their number or have arranged to meet up sometime, where do you go from here?
1. "You look really nice today."
Simple, classic and always effective. This one makes the person feel good about themselves, and if you can make them feel good about themselves, then youre on the right path.
2. "I have a hard time meeting people because Im so busy with work."
This will tell them that you are a hard worker, which is generally seen as a good quality by most people (but not by all! Avoid this line if you are trying to impress a punk rocker or an anarchist).
3. "Im single because Im waiting for the right person."
This will show them that you dont fool around with the first person who comes into your life, and it might make them want to be the right person for you.
4. I feel a little silly saying this is in English so ...