客服热线:4000-51-51-51
Hi,Joe
【转·双语科普】7个已经后悔了的发明者…
FMT-  AnnatarVictorNate 2016-06-23 21:35:23 发表于  [  资料共享  ]
  1752     3   

原址:

http://xue.youdao.com/sw/m/1106802

What do Labradoodles, Mother’s Day, and emoticons have in common? Their creators rue the day they thought them up.

拉布拉多,母亲节和emoji有什么共同之处?他们的发明者都后悔发明他们了……

Ethan Zuckerman, creator of the pop-up ad

伊桑·朱克曼,弹出式广告的创造者

When one of his advertising clients, a major car company, freaked out after their ad appeared on a page celebrating … well, a certain kind of sex we can’t mention here, Ethan Zuckerman came up with a way to get ads in front of the eyeballs of consumers without seeming to be associated with the content on the page. Thus, he wrote in an essay for The Atlantic, “We ended up creating one of the most hated tools in the advertiser’s toolkit: the pop-up ad. I’m sorry. Our intentions were good.”

当他的广告客户之一,某大汽车公司,发现他们的广告出现在某个色情网站页面上的时候吓坏了。于是伊桑·朱克曼想出了一个办法,使广告能在消费者的眼睛前面弹出,而且看起来与网页上的内容无关联。因此他在《大西洋》的一篇文章中写道,“我们发明了广告者能够使用的最讨厌的工具之一:弹出式广告。 对不起。我们的本意是好的。“

Wally Conron, creator of the Labradoodle

沃利·康隆,拉布拉多犬的发明者

In the 1980’s, Wally Conron, the puppy-breeding manager for the Royal Guide Dog Association of Australia, was tasked with creating a non-shedding guide dog for a blind woman whose husband was allergic to dogs. The result was a cross between a Golden Labrador Retriever and a Standard Poodle called a Labradoodle, now the most sought after hybrid dog in the world. You’d think Conron would be happy, right? Wrong.

20世纪80年代,沃利是澳大利亚皇家导盲犬协会小狗繁殖管理员,正准备为一个丈夫对狗过敏的盲人妇女培育一种不脱毛的导盲犬。其培育结果是由金色拉布拉多寻回犬和标准贵宾犬之间杂交的犬种,称为拉布拉多,现在是世界上最受追捧的杂交犬。你觉得沃利应该会很高兴吧?错了。

Everyone’s now now trying to create their own hybrid breeds: Goldendoodles (Golden Retriever/Poodle), Schnoodles (Miniature Schnauzer/Poodle), Cavoodless (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Poodle), Roodles (Rottweiller/Poodle), Yorkiepoos (Yorkshire Terrier/Poodle), Shihpoos (Shih Tzu/Poodle) … The result, according to Psychology Today: the poodle crosses suffer various ailments: problems with their eyes, hips, elbows, even epilepsy. "I opened a Pandoras box, thats what I did,” Conron told Psychology Today. “So many people are just breeding for the money. So many of these dogs have physical problems, and a lot of them are just crazy.”

现在大家都试着培育自己的杂交品种:黄金贵宾犬(金毛寻回犬/贵宾犬),Schnoodles(迷你雪纳瑞/贵宾犬),Cavoodless(骑士查理王猎犬/贵宾犬),Roodles(罗威那/贵宾犬),Yorkiepoos(约克夏梗/狮子狗),Shihpoos(西施犬/贵妇犬)......结果,根据今日心理学的研究:狮子狗杂交犬种会遭受各种疾病:眼睛,臀部,手肘都有问题,甚至还会癫痫。 “我打开了潘多拉的盒子,这就是我所做的坏事,”沃利对今日心理学说。“很多人乱杂交都只是为了钱。而这么多的杂交狗身体都有问题,这些人都疯了。”

Anna Jarvis, creator of Mother’s Day

安娜·贾维斯,母亲节的创始人

To her dying day, Anna Jarvis couldn’t stand Mother’s Day. It had nothing to do with her feelings for her mother, whom she adored. After all, that’s why she came up with the idea of having a day devoted to mothers everywhere. Jarvis was even excited when the first day was celebrated on May 10, 1908. She didn’t attend the first event, held in the Grafton, West Virginia church where her mother taught Sunday School. But she did send 500 white carnations in her honor.

直到她死的那天,安娜都没法接受母亲节。这对纪念她所敬爱的母亲没有一点帮助。然而这终究她发明了这个纪念全世界母亲的节日。安娜在第一个母亲节,1908年的5月10日的时候是很兴奋的。她没有参加在西弗吉尼亚州的拉夫顿的教会的第一次纪念活动,她的母亲曾在那个教会担任周日圣经学校老师,但为了这自己主办的节日,她寄了500朵白色康乃馨过去。

What turned her off was how quickly the day became commercialized. Mental Floss says she was so put off that she dubbed the florist, greeting card, and confectionery industries “charlatans, bandits, pirates, racketeers, kidnappers, and termites that would undermine with their greed one of the finest, noblest and truest movements and celebrations.” We’re waiting to hear what she thinks of Valentine’s Day.

然而这个节日商业化的速度之快让她转变了态度。心理学杂志称,她对这个节日太反感,以至于称呼花匠、贺卡和糖果行业为“骗子,强盗,海盗,敲诈勒索犯,绑架犯和白蚁”用他们的贪婪破坏了最真诚的感动和庆祝。——我们很想听听她对情人节有什么看法。

John Sylvan, creator of the K-Cup

约翰·西尔,咖啡胶囊的发明者

It seems everyone has a Keurig coffee maker, right? “I dont have one,” John Sylvan told The Atlantic. “Theyre kind of expensive to use. Plus it’s not like drip coffee is tough to make.” You’d think that Sylvan would have all the money and time in the world. After all, he’s the guy who invented the Keurig K-Cups, those ubiquitous single-serve plastic coffee pods. But what really puts him off his creation is that the pods aren’t recyclable or biodegradable, so there are literally tons filling up landfills. “I feel bad sometimes that I ever did it,” he admits.

看起来每个人都有一台克里格咖啡机对不对?“我没有。”其发明者约翰说。“他们用起来有一点昂贵,而且也不像滴漏式咖啡那么难使用。”你一定觉得约翰有着很多金钱和时间,毕竟是他发明了克里格胶囊咖啡——无处不在的一式一份的塑料小玩意。但是让他很后悔的是那些胶囊不可回收,也不是生态友好的,所以这些胶囊会成吨地填满垃圾场。“有的时候我后悔发明了胶囊咖啡。”他承认。

Mikhail Kalashnikov, creator of the AK-47

米哈伊尔·卡拉什尼科夫,AK-47发明者

During World War II, Russian firepower could not keep up with that of Germany’s. So Mikhail Kalashnikov, who served in a tank unit during the beginning of the war and had already invented improvements for tanks, set about building a rifle to compete against the Nazis. His automatic weapon proved durable, lightweight, and extremely popular. Too popular, as far as he was concerned, as it became a favorite of terrorists and warlords the world over. He told the Guardian, “I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work—for example a lawn mower.”

二战期间,苏联的战力比不上当时德国的战力。所以当时在坦克部队任职,且已经对坦克做出过几项改进的米哈伊尔开始着手创造能够对抗纳粹的步枪。他的自动式武器很耐用,重量轻,非常受欢迎。但他担心太受欢迎,会使它成为全世界恐怖分子和军阀的最爱。他对卫报说:“我宁愿发明了一种可以帮助农民工作的机器,比如割草机。”

Scott Fahlman, creator of the emoticon

斯科特·法尔曼,emoji表情的发明者

Emoticons, emojis, “stickers” … that’s how many of us communicate with the outside world. Why use words when we can use cute pictures? Who would have a problem with that? Scott Fahlman, that’s who. The computer science professor created emoticons as joke markers to let someone know the email or text sender is kidding. But things have changed. "Sometimes I feel like Dr. Frankenstein," he complained to the Wall Street Journal. "My creature started as benign but its gone places I dont approve of." :-(

表情符号,表情贴纸......这是许多人与外界沟通的方式。可以用可爱的照片的时候谁还打字?有什么问题吗?……斯科特·法尔曼是谁。这是一位发明了emoji表情的计算机科学教授,他的表情可以让别人知道发信者是在开玩笑的。但如今事情已经不太一样了。 “有时我觉得自己像弗兰肯斯坦博士”,他向华尔街日报抱怨。 “我的表情们一开始是良性传播的,但后来它们流向了很多我不同意流向的地方。” :-(

Albert Einstein, whose theories helped create the atomic bomb

阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦,他的理论帮助发明了原子弹

Einstein’s famous equation E=mc2 was the roadmap scientists needed to build the atomic bomb. And, assuming that the Nazis were well on their way to building their own A-Bomb, he was glad to help, even writing a letter to President Franklin Roosevelt in 1939 urging him to pursue the bomb. But the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki horrified Einstein. In 1947, he lamented to Newsweek, had I "known that the Germans would not succeed in developing an atomic bomb, I would have done nothing."

爱因斯坦的著名公式E = mc2是科学家们要造原子弹所需的基础。而且,在假设纳粹靠自己的力量已经快能成功发明原子弹的情况下,他乐意地插手了,甚至在1939年还写信给罗斯福总统敦促他赶紧制造原子弹。但是,广岛和长崎遭受的轰炸让爱因斯坦震惊了。1947年,他对新闻周刊感叹道,“如果我知道德国人不会研制成功原子弹,我绝不会插手此事。” (当初想把原子弹从纳粹疯子的手中抢走,但是又交给了另一个疯子美国的手中)

FMT -  AnnatarVictorNate 2021-06-14 09:38:35 重新编辑

评 论( 3

头像

Anah 2016-06-25 09:10

0 回复
头像

FMT -  AnnatarVictorNate 2016-06-26 22:49

默认头像

Tony 2016-07-18 09:30

0 回复
默认头像

我的评论