1. If you have been generous to a person for a period of time, it is most likely that the person will take advantage of your generosity and trade on your "weakness" _______ become appreciative of your kindness.
A. but not B. let alone C. rather than D. instead of
2. A poet must not write for the ages past, but for _______ in which he lives and those which are to follow.
A. one B. those C. the one D. that
3. There is a delicate balance of nature _______ many square miles of ocean and vegetation and clean air are needed to maintain only a relatively few human beings.
A. where B. in which C. when D. how
4. There are cases _______ new factories are being put up and beautiful old trees are going to be cut down for a new factory.
A. which B. where C. that D. when
5. Somebody in the next room must be ill, _______ a doctor has just come out.
A. because B. for C. in that D. as
6. He would always ignore the fact _______ of such a contradiction in his inner thought.
A. there to be B. there being C. it being D. there having been
7. A convenient way is to set the food on a piece of aluminum oil, _______ to the air for half an hour, and then cover it with a dish.
A. let it stay open B. let it stayed open
C. letting it stay open D. letting it stay opened
8. They _______ us willingly but that they happened to be short of hands, too.
A. would help B. would have helped
C. were going to help D. must have helped
9. Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we _______ during the day.
A. should have done B. would have done
C. may have done D. must have done
10. If you are _______ late to catch a train, it is always better to be comfortably early than even a fraction of a minute late.
A. too B. very C. much D. rather
1. C rather than 表示对比，在意思上前后形成对照：take advantage of your generosity… rather than become appreciative of your kindness 意为“利用你的慷慨，而不是理解你的好意”。另外， rather than 在结构上起并列作用， take advantage 与 become appreciative 平行。
2. C the one 替代 the age，还原为：…but must write for the age in which he lives and the ages which are to follow。
3. B in which 在定语从句中做状语，相当于 in the balance of nature （many square miles of…）。
4. C that 引导 case 的同位语从句，其他连接词都不合适。
5. B for 连接一个原因分句，对前面的推测做原因上的解释。请考生记住：无论从逻辑推理还是从语法规则上看，只要前面是表示推测的句子，后面大都用 for 连接后一句，而不用其他连词。
6. B there being 做介词 of 的宾语，如果是介词 for，则用 there to be。
7. C 分词短语做伴随状语，形容词 open 在分词短语中做补语，表示状态，不用过去分词，所以 D 不正确。
8. B 此句是含蓄虚拟语气句，暗含的假设条件为：if they hadnt happened to be short of hands。故应选 B。
9. C may have done“(不管我们白天)可能做了些什么”， 符合句意。 should have done“本 该做(但实际未做)”;would have done 表示与过去相反的假设;must have done 是对已发生的 情况作肯定推测。
10. A 句中 too late 相当于 too late to catch the train，所以选其他词不合适。