1. I didn’t see Jack at the meeting yesterday afternoon. He ______ it.
A. mustn’t attend B. can’t attend
C. mustn’t have attended D. can’t have attended
2. It is essential that this application form ______ as soon as possible.
A. being returned B. be returned
C. to be returned D. will be returned
3. You ______ quit your job until you find another one.
A. had better not B. had better not to
C. had not better D. had not better to
4. There are more than sixty proposals ______ at the conference.
A. discussing B. been discussed
C. to discuss D. to be discussed
5. ______ for their help, we couldn’t have finished the task ahead of time.
A. If it were not B. Hadn’t it been
C. Had it not been D. If it was not
6. The room needs _____, but it will have to wait until Tuesday.
A. cleaning B. cleaned
C. to clean D. being cleaned
7. Thank you, Mr. President. I’m very happy to ______ a chance to visit your college.
A. being given B. be given
C. give D. have given
8. Two days ago he came back from the village ______ his father had lived.
A. there B. that
C. where D. which
9. Scarcely ______ the house ______ it began to rain heavily.
A. did he leave, than B. he left, than
C. had he left, when D. he had left, when
10. I didn’t go to our class get-together last weekend, but I do wish I ______ there.
A. was B. will be
C. were D. had been
11. His visit to London last spring is ______ as a great success.
A. looked into B. looked to
C. looked over D. looked upon
12. You will complete your project more easily if you take ______ of all the facilities here.
A. privilege B. advantage
C. chance D. care
13. Seventy guests had been invited to the party, but only fifty ______.
A. turned around B. showed up
C. turned out D. showed off
14. All we can do is to hope this chemical plant will take ______ to reduce air pollution.
A. measures B. ways
C. positions D. methods
15. She was just too busy yesterday, ______ she would surely have gone there with you.
A. however B. for
C. therefore D. otherwise
16. He found it hard to concentrate on his writing ______ so many people around.
A. when B. during
C. because D. with
17. When she was five, the girl’s father decided to ______ a pianist of her.
A. develop B. build
C. make D. do
18. ______ automobile pollution, the air quality in this city has become worse.
A. As a result of B. In spite of
C. But for D. As for
19. Her friends did not expect her to ______ all their suggestions.
A. turn down B. turn over
C. take off D. take away
20. The motor isn’t ______ enough to push the car up the hill.
A. tough B. powerful
C. strong D. big