1. Some women ________ a good salary in a job instead of staying home, but they decided not to work for the sake of the family.
A. must make B. should have made
C. would make D. could have made
2. A light with no more power than ________ by an ordinary electric light bulb becomes intensely strong as it is concentrated to a pinpoint-sized beam.
A. as is produced B. that produced
C. that is produced D. produced
3. For most people the sea was remote, and with the exception of early intercontinental travelers or others who earned a living from the sea, there was little reason to ask many questions about it, let alone________ what lay beneath the surface.
A. asking B. ask C. to ask D. be asked
4.Even if they are on sale, these ________refrigerators are equal in price to, if not more expensive than, at the other store.
A. anyone B. the others C. that D. the ones
5. The atmosphere is as much a part of the earth as ________ its soil and the water of its lakes, rivers and oceans.
A. are B. is C. do D. has
1. D这是一个含蓄虚拟句，意为“有些妇女完全可以不呆在家里，干一份工作挣得可观的工资，可是她们决定不工作，为的是照顾家庭”，所以选D。should have made意思是“本应该做而实际上没做”，与原句意不够贴切。
2. B相当于A light with no more power than the power that is produced by…。that代替power，表示相比较的事物，而D中没有比较对象，故不对;as表示原级比较，不与than用在一起，故A也不正确;C中缺少that的先行词，也是错误的。
3. Clet alone，“更不用说……”，在用法上相当于并列连词，因此要求填入与前面一样的结构，此处是不定式。
4. D句子要求填一个能够代替these refrigerators 的代词，故排除A、C。the others一般与另一部分相对而言，在此句中不对，所以选the ones。
5. A句子后半句是倒装句，主语是复数its soil and the water of its lakes, rivers and oceans，因为较长，所以后置，故选A。