16.11 句型的转换
句型转换就是将一种型式的句子改变为另一种型式的句子。英语的三种句型即简单句、并列句与复合句,均可以相互转换。如:
(1)I help him and he helps me. 我帮助他,他帮助我。
→The old man wants a room that is small but comfortable. (简单句转换为复合句)
(3)I lent my bicycle to John, who lent it to George. 我把我的自行车借给了约翰,他又把它借给了乔治。
→I lent my bicycle to John and he lent it to George.(复合句转换为并列句)
学会句型的转换有助于对英语句型的精确掌握,从而可运用不同的句型来表达基本相同的意思。可转化的句型有下列三种:
(4)He succeeded through hard work. 他靠勤奋工作取得了成功。(简单句)
(5)He worked hard and so he succeeded. 他勤奋工作,所以他取得了成功。(并列句)
(6)He succeeded because he worked hard. 他成功是因为他勤奋工作。(复合句)
[注]简单句有时亦可引用it和there进行内部转换。如:
①You need not put your foot in it. 你不必自找麻烦。
→It is necessary for you to put your foot in it.
②What have you got in your pocket? 你口袋里是什么?
→What’s there in your pocket?
③It will rain next week. 下星期要下雨。
→There will be rain next week.
1)简单句与并列句的转换
简单句与并列句可相互转换
简单句转换为并列句,多由短语变为分句。如:
(7)He came too late to see the first part of the show. 他来得太晚了,没赶上节目的第一一部分。
→He came late, so he missed the first part of the show.
(8)Sleeping but little and thinking much, I find nights long. 我入不了睡,思绪万千,故觉得夜很长。
→I find nights long, for I sleep but little and think much.
并列句转换为简单句,多将分句变为短语。如:
(9)Tom wants to buy a bicycle, so he’s saving up. 汤姆要买一辆自行车,为此他正在攒钱。
→Tom is saving up for a bicycle.
(10)She was young and beautiful, and yet I did not love her. 她年轻貌美,但我却不爱她。
→I did not love her, with all her young and beauty.
2)简单句与复合句的转换
简单句与复合句可相互转换
简单句转换为复合句,多将短语变为从句。如:
(11)The meeting over, we all went home. 散会后,我们就都回家了。
→When the meeting was over, we all went home.
(12)To my knowledge, they never lost a package from the Unite States. 据我所知,他们从未丢失过一件从美国寄来的包裹。
→As far as I knew, they never lost a package from the Unite States.
复合句转换为简单句,多将从句变为短语。如:
(13)He went all the same although it was raining. 尽管下雨他还是走了。
→He went all the same in spite of the rain.
(14)If you make your own clothes, it will save you money. 自己做衣服,你就会省钱。
→You will save money by making your own clothes.
3)并列句与复合句的转换
并列句与复合句可相互转换
并列句转换为复合句,多将一分句变为从句。如:
(15)Try again and you will succeed. 再努力一次,你就会成功。
→If you try again, you will succeed.
(16)I’ve been away only for three years, yet I can hardly recognize my hometown. 我仅在外三年,可我几乎辨认不出我的故乡了。
→Although I’ve been away only for three years, I can hardly recognize my hometown.
复合句转换为并列句,多将从句变为一分句。如:
(17)As Jane was the eldest, she looked after the others. 珍妮是大姐,所以她照顾其他弟妹。
→Jane was the eldest, and so she looked after the others.
(18)If milk is not kept in a cool place, it will go sour. 牛奶如不存放在阴凉处,很快就会变坏的。
→Milk must be kept in a cool place, or else it will go sour.
4)句子的结合与分离
有时一个以上的句子可合并为一个句子,这也是一种转换。如:
(19)The bird was a cock. The fox was looking at it hungrily. 那是一只公鸡。狐狸正以贪婪的目光看着它。
→The bird which the fox was looking at hungrily was a cock.
(20)It was a snowy day. A small girl was making her way down the street. She was holding a box of matches in her hand. 一个下雪天,一个小女孩在街上走着。她手上拿着一盒火柴。
→It was a snowy day and a small girl was making her way down the street, holding a box of matches in her hand.
有时一个句子可分离一个以上的句子,这又是一种转换。如:
(21)My ruler has a scale marked in centimeters. 我有一把标有厘米的尺子。
→I’ve got a ruler. It has a scale. The scale is marked in centimeters.
(22)Instead of hating him, I like him all the more for it. 我不但不恨他,相反为此更爱他。
→I don’t hate him. On the contrary, I like him all the more for it.
我的留言